PHOENIX – The Sun Devil Baseball program will make its 41st NCAA postseason appearance beginning this weekend as Arizona State was selected as the No. 2 seed in the Austin Regional. The four-team, double-elimination regional at UFCU Disch–Falk Field in Austin, Texas, will begin on Friday.
The Austin Regional, hosted by the University of Texas, also includes No. 3 seed Fairfield and No. 4 seed Southern. The second-seeded Sun Devils will take on Fairfield on Friday at 4 p.m. AZT/6 p.m. CST. The game will be available on ESPN3, and broadcast by NBC Sports Radio AM 1060 in the Phoenix area.
Friday will mark the first-ever meeting between the Sun Devils and the Stags. ASU is 19-29 in a storied history against Texas while also never having played Southern in program history.
The Sun Devils will be the youngest team in the tournament field with 66.3 percent of its at-bats on offense this weekend coming by way of freshmen. Despite the youth and a streak of bad luck on the injury front that saw the team lose its three weekend starters in the opening weeks of the year, ASU went 11-4 in weekend series this season and won five of its last six weekend matchups.
Featuring an infield with three freshmen and Drew Swift shifting from a career second-baseman to shortstop, ASU led the country with 57 double plays in the regular season – four more than any other team.
ASU was a Top-50 team in the nation this season in batting average (.287), total hits (514), doubles (107), slugging percentage (.458) and fielding percentage (.976).
Ethan Long finished the regular season 22nd nationally and second in the Pac-12 with 16 home runs while finishing 13th nationally and leading the league with a 725 slugging percentage.
ASU will be playing in its 35th NCAA Regional while its 41 NCAA postseason appearances are the sixth-most in NCAA history.
AUSTIN REGIONAL SCHEDULE
Friday, 6/4 Game Times:
- 1:00pm CST: Southern vs Texas (LHN)
- 6:00pm CST: Fairfield vs Arizona St (ESPN3)
Saturday, 6/5 Game Times:
- 1:00pm CST: Game 3
- 6:00pm CST: Game 4
Sunday, 6/6 Game Times:
- 1:00pm CST: Game 5
- 7:00pm CST: Game 6
Monday, 6/7 Game Time *if necessary:
- 3:00pm CST: Game 7 (subject to change)
AUSTIN TICKET INFORMATION
- All-session tickets will be available for purchase beginning Tuesday, June 1 at 7 a.m. AZT at TexasSports.com/Tickets. Fans can purchase parking in advance at Click and Park. If available, single-session tickets will go on sale Friday, June 4 at 7 a.m. AZT
Follow the Action
- ASU’s opening tilt of the series will be available online on ESPN3 by way of the Longhorn Network. All games in the regional will be available either online or through the Longhorn Network in games in which Texas is involved.
- Each game will also be available over the airwaves this weekend on NBC Sports Radio 1060 AM KDUS with Tim Healey alongside analyst Max Rossiter.
- Fans are encouraged to follow along in-game content and updates (especially with weather projected in the area) throughout the weekend on the Sun Devil Baseball Twitter account (@ASU_Baseball).
ASU In The Postseason
- ASU will be playing in its 35th NCAA Regional while its 41 NCAA postseason appearances are the fifth-most among teams in this year’s tournament and the sixth-most in Division I history.
- 19 Regional Titles
- 22 CWS appearances, fourth-most in DI history
- 10 CWS final appearances – third-most in DI history
- 61 CWS wins – third most in D1 history
- 5 National Titles – fourth most in D1 history